Aquatic Veterinary Services
Fish can suffer from a wide range of diseases and husbandry complications, yet many veterinary practices are not comfortable dealing with fish. At Chipping Norton Veterinary Hospital, we can treat any freshwater or marine fish from the goldfish to the rainbow trout to the stingray and we are able to travel for pond-side consults.
• Telephone, e-mail or in-clinic consults
• Pond-side consults – these include gill and skin scrapings, water quality testing, and any other diagnostics and treatments required.
• At our hospital we provide services for x-rays, ultrasound, blood collection, post mortems, and surgical procedures.
• We treat all fish species – pet goldfish, koi, freshwater or saltwater aquarium fish, and production species (trout, salmon, etc).
• We also treat other aquatic / marine species including corals, and amphibians such as axolotls and frogs.
Our lead fish vet is Kerry Tempest, BVBiol, BVSc, MSc, CertAqV, MRCVS
Kerry holds the MSc in Aquatic Veterinary Medicine from the University of Stirling and the World Aquatic Veterinary Medical Association CertAqV (https://www.wavma.org/CertAqV-Pgm). She trained as a fish production vet dealing with crustaceans, molluscs and finfish varieties. Her special interest lies in ornamental fish.
Kerry is backed-up by Nathalie Wissink-Argilaga CertAVP(ZM), DZM(Reptilian), MRCVS, an RCVS-recognised Specialist in Zoo Animal and Wildlife Medicine, and Martin Whitehead, BSc, PhD, BVSc, CertSAM, MRCVS, both of whom have years of experience treating pet and zoo fish among a wide range of other species.
Ornamental & pet fish
When bringing ornamental or pet fish for a consult, we advise that all clients bring their fish in their own tank water, for example in a bucket or polythene bag. If you cannot use your own tank water during transport, please bring a sample of the tank water separately. Video footage and photographs can be useful for assessing fish behaviour in their own tanks, and the tank set-up.
Alternatively, we can do home visits within an hour of Chipping Norton – contact us for visit fees.
We can provide services to fish farms within an hour of Chipping Norton, including water assessment, veterinary health plans, and post-mortem and other diagnostic procedures and veterinary medicated feed prescriptions. For legal reasons, before providing any veterinary medications, at least one site visit will be necessary.